Friday, November 17, 2006

(Attempted)Tree of life based on protein structure

Hi

I would like to post this paper for several different reasons:

- Interesting for genomics people and as well to people interested in protein structure

- Uses simple methods to assess very complicated and controversial questions

- Uncovers curious facts like: a set of 50 protein folds are common to the three superkindgoms of life

Here goes the link:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/102/2/373


I hoppe you enjoy it...

bruno

P.S. If you have the chance to read the paper, it is likely that you will not agree with my opinion (that it is a good paper to read). If you don't, say why and I'll be happy to reconsider it...
In the other hand, if you liked it you can always say what you liked the most...

2 comments:

Bruno said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bruno said...

Hello ze

I've just finished the reading of the really really really cool paper....
I think it is very interesting and challenging, although i wasn't able to understand some issues. And the one that I would like to discuss is:
How does the robot converts the self model synthesis in actions. And i'm asking this because it is not clear(to me) how do you extrapolate the knowledge about your "physiology" to locomotion or any other action. In a sense is something like this: just because I know that my leg can bend it doesn't mean I can walk...
So please tell me how you understand it... In the paper they speak about this on page 1119, 2nd paragraph. If I wasn't clear please post something or e-mail me..